Creating your First Set of Documentation
With QUBEdocs Cloud, you can use a file based connection to connect your on premise TM1 or PA model. With this method a metadata package is created that can be uploaded to QUBEdocs Cloud to generate the QUBEdocs documentation. The package can be uploaded manually or based on a schedule with the QUBEdocs API. The process to do this is outlined below.
Step 1: Login into QUBEdocs
Login to QUBEdocs using the credentials that you registered the account with. Note that when you register for the first time you will automatically receive a 14 day free trial which will enable you to generate documentation for one Planning Analytics or TM1 model.
Step 2: Set up a connection to your model
Simply click on the "Connect a New Model" tile in the main page and fill out the model details.
For a file based connection select "File" for the connection type to connect to both on-premise or cloud based PA / TM1 instances. Once selected you will need to give the connection a name, description and specify which environment the connection is for (production or non-production etc).
Step 3: Setup PA/TM1 to work with QUBEdocs
Select "Setup TM1 server" from the connections settings menu or the profile menu and follow the instructions. This will direct you to download and deploy the TM1 files into your environment. Follow the steps in the wizard to download and configure your TM1 server.
Following the wizard instructions will result in you successfully installing the QUBEdocs Package Creator into your TM1 environment.
Step 4: Run the QUBEdocs Create Package Process
The process QUBEdocs Create Package will be installed as part of the QUBEdocs Package Creator. Navigate to the process in your TM1 instance. Right click and Run the process.
You will need to enter a location for the package to export to. If you enter .\ , it will export into the data directory.
Step 5: Generate the Documentation
Right-click on the drop down menu on the right hand side of the connection and select the "Generate" option. You will be prompted with instructions on how to generate / refresh and upload your PA / TM1 metadata package. Once generated you will be able to browse the documentation version by selecting "View Documentation" from the model tile.
Once the documentation has been generated for the first time the QUBEdocs Cloud API can then be used to generate the documentation based on a schedule. Details about how to set this up can be found in the optional step below.
Step 6: Schedule a Regular Model Refresh (Optional)
QUBEdocs Cloud allows the automatic upload of documentation via HTPS from TM1 servers that have internet access. To set this up:
- Right-click on the drop down menu on the right hand side of the connection and select the the "Edit Settings" option.
2. Click the 'API' tab
3. Create a unique token for the connection by clicking the '+ Create token' button. This will add the new entry to the table as shown below. Select this entry and copy it to the clipboard by right clicking and selecting "copy" or pressing ctrl + v.
4. Next, create a TM1 chore in Architect / Server Explorer and schedule the QUBEdocs Package Creator process within.
5. Include the token that you created in step 3 as the parameter value by pasting into the Default Value field.
6. Select a time period and a date from which you want the chore to begin. Ensure you have clicked Activate Chore, and click Finish.
7. Finally, test that the documentation is updating automatically by running the chore manually.